Saturday, August 20, 2011

People's Agenda

Our city council has failed to address our city’s problems.  It is our right and responsibility as Memphians to set the agenda for our government and to hold our public officials accountable.  When candidates come asking for your vote, ask them if they support the People’s Agenda:

1.  I will support the creation of living-wage jobs and economic opportunities for locally owned small businesses while protecting our public workers from unfair layoffs and cuts.

2.  I will fight for equality in public services among ALL neighborhoods.  

3.  I will work to ensure affordable and fair housing for allit is our city’s moral responsibility as well as a practical necessity for thriving communities.  

4.  I will fight blight by working in concert with the Health Department and Environmental Court to force banks, absentee landlords, and the government to be held responsible for neglecting our neighborhoods.  They must clean up their vacant properties, illegal trash dumping sites, and tire dumping sites, which are breeding grounds for disease-carrying mosquitoes and rodents.

5.  I will negotiate in good faith with public workers and oppose selling off our city’s public services to private companies though privatization or managed competition.  

6.  I will advocate for full funding of the Mayors’ Plan to End Homelessness, and I will oppose any proposals that criminalize poverty or homelessness.

7.  I will actively support any proposed ordinance opposing discrimination against city workers based on sexual orientation or gender identity.   

8.  I will support comprehensive MATA reorganization, including improved customer service, online route planning, maintenance of vehicles, and maintenance of wheelchair lifts.  I will push for more rain shelters in low-income areas and pursue a grid or loop system for bus routes to improve usability.

9.  I will propose the enactment of an ordinance that will create a rental property registration and inspection program.  Everyone deserves to live in clean and safe homes.  

10.  I will refuse back-door dealing of any kind and any decision-making process that is not transparent and accountable to the people of Memphis.

No comments:

Post a Comment